Getting straight, digital transformation is becoming a mode of upheaval of out grade technologies in operations of organization. The organizations are focusing on enforcing automated solutions and digitized technologies to foster customer value. As digitalization is getting leaned in the world, Organizations are having trouble in adjusting with the tide and in taking decisions of acceptance. Dependency on traditional systems of applications will weigh down any organization as it will make them incur day to day operation cost and opportunity cost as well. Therefore, it is advisable to make rational decisions to get most of the benefits of modernization. Digital transformation strives for meeting demands of business through working with extensive data securely leads to customer satisfaction, getting competitive edge and strengthening decision making ability.
Most of the organizations such as financial and telecommunication, are using resilient approaches for batch processing. In the traditional era, the banking sector relied on batch processing for performing transactional activities that are payments, withdrawals, generation of accounts etc. Banks are undertaking digital transformation as their core banking system. This enables their customer to get access to real time information as it allows them to get instant access to their account information. The processor systems are undoubtedly irreconcilable with modernized technology so the journey of transformation begins with legacy modernization.
Roadblocks in Digital Transformation-
For the dexterous transformation, it is required to identify various challenges and complexities. For the purpose of understanding this more clearly, let us focus on the common migration of COBOL to Java to determine a wide array of challenges which arises in the cause of modernization.
- There are approximately 30 data types in COBOL which can be further classified into any of these 30 data types. Leading the total combination of around 900 and taking into consideration that data conversion can be executed for varying data length and the possible combinations can cross thousands of data or borders.
- The conversion of data in COBOL can be executed through a function named “Move” whereas java uses over 100 variants to construct a getter and setter. Therefore, additional COBOL increases complexity of process.
- Group item data structure is utilized in COBOL which is used for maintaining several types of data in sequential order. As no equivalent group structure is available in java so it is mandatory to maintain offset records which are required to be retrieved.
In these two coding languages, more of the challenges are associated with syntactical and structural variations. There are various other challenges are available such as issues related to data format or source code vision which affects efficiency of performance.
For the purpose of successful implementation of modern applications, organizations are required to utilise right tools to facilitate highly automated transformation. To complete the requirement, collaboration with the deployment team is elementary as for the expertise to navigate the process if manual arbitration is required. The ideal approach which is product based is required to be taken into consideration for retaining application significantly while considering following-
- Platform and technology.
- Transforming monolithic program to layered architecture.
- Manifesting the record facility of debug or display error bugs.
This approach enables accomplishment of 90% automation that reduces the risk of manual errors. This also benefits lower the transformation cost by 50%in comparison to manual implementation.
Exploring more Opportunities-
Organization mainly set off modernized applications to face and overcome technological obstacles which are imposed by legacy systems and competing with the challenge of diminishing resources. Moreover, transformation enhances more opportunities and benefits as well, such as-
- Customizing the legacy technical landscape to cloud ready architecture that allows integration of tools and web services for dynamic requirements of organizations.
- Cost effective approach as it substitutes legacy systems which allows to attain maximum potential by making provisions for investments.
- Maximized performance, flexibility and scalability through layered architecture.
Provides real time access to information while securing a standard of security through integration of transforming technology.
Digital Transformation is a strategic approach which certainly provides benefits and reduces the impact of challenges.